My Weather

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Tuesday Treasure

Because I can't show you what I am sewing  (birthday and Christmas presents) I decided to link up to Melody's Tuesday Treasure.

The Treasure I have to show you today is the only picture I have of my Grandfather.  It's quite a sad story, but also something I am extremely proud of.



On the 9th July 1912 there was a major disaster at Cadeby Main Colliery, Yorkshire, England.  The first explosion killed 35 men, 53 died in the second explosion, more died from their injuries in the following weeks and months.  My Grandfather had finished his work and got out safely after the first explosion, he then volunteered to go down with the rescue party, he was killed in the second explosion.   My Grandmother was left with 2 children under 4 and one on the way (my Mum).  My Mum never knew her Dad.

As I was writing this I decided to check the internet to make sure I had my facts right when I found this:-

https://sites.google.com/site/conisbroughlocalhistory/denaby-and-cadeby-collieries/1912-cadeby-colliery-disaster/heroes-and-victims-of-the-disaster/davis-william-charles

William Davis was my Grandfather.  He was a hero.  He was 26 years old when he died.

It was quite a shock to click on this link and suddenly see his face, I haven't seen this article before, I knew all about him going back down the mine, and that he was a hero,  but I had no idea he was a footballer, or that he was so well known.  I emailed my brother to see if he knew about it, his reply was "I am gob smacked!"  LOL

I can only imagine what my Grandmother's life must have been like from that moment on.  There was no Social Security  in those days, a relief fund was set up and she got 5 shillings a week and 1 shilling for each child under the age of 14, so 7 to 8 shillings (about 35p-40p now) a week to feed and clothe them all.....but she was not alone, 63 women had lost their husbands and 132 children had lost their fathers.

I have the original picture, the one above is a copy I had done and framed it's on my wall together with an original poem of the visit to Cadeby Main by the King and Queen after the disaster.


This year it's  the 100 year anniversary of the disaster, there is going to be a Commemoration Day and there is going to be a permanent memorial at the cemetery to the victims of the disaster.  I am not sure if I am going to be able to go to the Commemoration Day, but I know next time I am in the UK I will definitely be going to the cemetry to look at the memorial.


Have a happy Tuesday!!

Hugs Linda xx









19 comments:

Fiona said...

REally interesting.. glad you looked up and found that other information... As you say it is sad but also so wonderful you have that information about him.... what a great legacy...
Hugz

Clare said...

There is a book called Black Diamonds http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamonds-Great-English-Dynasty/dp/0141019239/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
which tells the full story and about the visit by George V and Queen Mary.

Bearing inmind your ancestry you might be interested.

Di said...

A true hero, can you imagine the courage it took to go back into the mine!!
Sending hugs xxx

Diane H said...

Thanks for sharing this heartfelt story about your heroic grandfather. Your grandmother was a hero as well to live the life she was handed at such a young age.
Our ancestors were certainly made of 'tough stuff'. xxxx

Diane-crewe said...

how wonderful to find out more about your grandfather in this way xx

Cyndi said...

What an amazing story, Linda. It's so sad that your mom never got to know her father, or you your grandfather, but what a legacy he has left for your family. I am sure that he is wearing a very large crown in Heaven! And how cool that his story is commemorated on the web for all to see! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

XOXO,

Cyndi

Hillbilly Tonya said...

What a story and what a hero! Life was probably not too easy for your grandmother.

QuiltSue said...

That must have sent shivers down your spine when you found that article.

Thank you for sharing this story with us, he was a true hero and you must all be very proud of him.

Handmade in Israel said...

What a story. How wonderful to be able suddenly discover more about your Grandad the hero.

Terry said...

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

Charlie and Wendy said...

That is a wonderful story, so great that you found the link and the photo!

Quilt Kitty said...

Isn't that an example of how the internet can be amazingly positive. You must have been so proud & yet sad as well to find that memorial to your grandfather. What a brave man but it is hard to think of how your poor Grandmother & the children suffered from the loss & after. Tracee xx

Staci said...

This was so interesting! Thank you for sharing this amazing story!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Amazing story Linda and wonderful that you have got to know his story. Thank you for sharing it.

Teresa said...

Wow, Linda, I'm so glad you found out so much about your Grandfather, things you didn't know. As sad as your post was to read, I am also very glad you shared his and your Grandmothers story. Thank you... I am going to read your link now...

Kathy said...

I love this story :) isn't it amazing what we can discover through the Internet. How wonderful you have discovered another layer to your family history.

Maricarmen said...

Your grandfather and grandmother was true heroes ... Your family should remember with pride and tell her story to your children.

Melody said...

It is amazing you have found out more about your grandfather this way. It is a very touching and sad story.

elliek said...

The mines certainly were a dangerous place to work. What a wonderful story though

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...