My Weather

Thursday, 14 July 2011

HAPPY BASTILLE DAY

Today, 14th July, celebrations throughout France are held in honour of Bastille Day, or La Fete Nationale (The National Celebration).  It commemorates the storming of the Bastille prison and fortress on 14 July 1789 and is considered the start of the French Revolution.  Bastille Day symbolises liberty and equality for all French citizens and inspires lots of celebrations.

Tonight in my home town of Rochechouart there will be a big firework display in front of the Chateau,  where you will find us, weather permitting.
Chateau Rochechouart

Chateau Rochechouart

Traditionally the display is at Rochechouart Lake, but this has been drained and cleaned and is now nearing completion, hopefully next year we will be back there.

On the sewing front I don’t seem to have done much, I am in the middle of making a bird cage cover for a friend in the UK, but as she doesn’t know exactly what it looks like I can’t show you a picture ….yet.

I finished a wall hanging using Strawberry Fields and have been waiting for hubby to fix some hooks on the wall…..still waiting…… so here is a picture of it just pinned on a wall. The pattern  is Charming Stars Quilt by Stefanie Roman and is free  from Moda Bake Shop.

 P7140001
In the middle is a brooch that belonged to my Mum, I thought it was a lovely place to display it, instead of it just laying in a drawer.

P7140002

I really like this quilting design, but I am in danger of using it all the time on everything,  as it’s fairly easy to do!!

Hubby did, however, put some hooks on our bedroom wall for “Brocante”

P6200003
So I guess I can’t complain….or can I…….

Hugs Linda

14 comments:

Nancy said...

Love seeing the pictures of the chateau. You may live in a small, quiet town but you have a chateau!!

Stray Stitches said...

Happy Bastille Day to you!
Your wall hangings are both beautiful :)

Diane H said...

Happy Bastille Day, my friend! Enjoy the fireworks for all of us. Great finishes!

sunny said...

I love your star wallhanging. I'm going to have to find that pattern and make one. I bought fabric for Brocante, but I've never purchased the pattern. I may have to do a little shopping this afternoon. Happy Bastille Day!

Lynn said...

Beautiful quilt and quilting Linda! I'm enjoying your blog so much. Take care. Lynn

Linda in Calif. said...

Happy Bastille Day to you! Your quilting is so wonderful! I would be hard pressed to tire of that design.

Linda said...

Happpy Bastille day!!! Wallhanging is gorgeous!! Love that fabric and how you quilted it is perfect! Brochante looks so nice hanging up too!!

SEW Useful Designs said...

Ah Linda - how beautiful is that historic building? Amazing! Happy Bastille day!!!

Love your latest sewing project, and the quilting... so beautiful! In fact I was just thinking "I really love that quilting" when I read about you using it all the time and I thought, "yeah - go for it - it's gorgeous!!!" :-)

Enjoy the fireworks!!!
Hugs! Vikki xoxoox

QuiltSue said...

Your latest quilt is great, and what a wonderful way to display a piece of your mother's jewellery.

Karen said...

Have a great time at the fireworks at the Chateau! ( And here I am thinking that's your house!) Love your sweet wall hanging. It looks so good in those fabrics. Aren't there loads of great patterns at the Moda Bake Shop? I think that is a great way to display a special brooch, too.
Hope you enjoyed the celebrations!!

Staci said...

LOL! Of COURSE you can complain! ; P
Beautiful photos! Enjoy those fireworks!

Melody said...

Such beautiful sewing.

Lenna said...

Hope you had a lovely night enjoying the fireworks, loved seeing your French photos, hope to visit there one day!
Thanks too for popping by my blog

teresa said...

Happy Bastille Day. We even celebrated it here in Australia with a French Festival last weekend. It was wonderful.. though no where near as wonderful as it would have been there in your Village! Your sewing is just beautiful also xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...