My Weather

Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Tuesday's Treasures - Our Pets

Today I just happened to find this blog The House on the Side of the Hill.  You all know how mad I am about my two dogs so how could I resist taking part.

From my previous post about Lady you will know she was rescued, but not many of you will know Sam's story.


In 2002 we decided to rescue another dog, we went to various animal shelter and had a look around, picked a couple of dogs we liked, but unfortunately Lady didn't!!  We couldn't take another dog without Lady's approval.  We finally found Sam in a local animal shelter, he was in a small cage that was on top of another two cages, all containing little dogs - he hardly had room to turn around or stand up- it was awful yet his little tail was wagging furiously at us.  We took him out for a walk with Lady and it was an instant success.  We had to wait another week before we could take him home with us... it nearly broke my heart leaving him in that tiny tiny cage.

We think he was about 6 months old when we got him but we have no papers so don't really know.  He was a funny little thing, we use to throw the ball for him and he use to stand there and look at us as if to say "yes well what do you want me to do now??"   we had to show him how to play.    He was quite ill the first month we got him so had to spoon medicine down him..... he bit both me and my husband in the process, which was such a shock for us, we had never had a nasty dog before.  However, it soon became clear to us he was doing it in defence.... he was getting in first, before we hurt him.... what on earth had his previous owners been doing to him!!


It wasn't long before this little dog knew he was on to a good thing living with us, he knows we would never hurt him and if we do have to do things to him, it's for his own good, he has never attempted to bite us since.

Last year was a wake up call for us, as my regular readers will know, Sam had a tumour which turned out to be cancer, we think the vet got it all out and Sam isn't showing any signs of being ill and there are no more growths, but it has made us think about how much longer we have with him.  

Lady has just celebrated her 18th Birthday


so every day with her is a precious day, the first thing I do every morning is check on her......though most days she is up and walking around waiting for me to open the door for her.

Sam will be about 10 we think this year. Having a pet is a life long commitment, yes they do stop us doing things like being able to just pack a bag and go away for a few days, everything has to be planned around our dogs, but the joy and the pleasure they give us makes up for that.


Life would be very quiet here without The Lady of the House and My Little Man.

Hugs Linda xx



14 comments:

marina said...

they are just beautiful treasures. Lady at 18 is fantastic.
We invest so much love in our pets and I know I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lindi said...

Beautiful dogs, both of them. I hope you have many more years with them. :)

Melody said...

Hi Linda I'm so glad we have met in blog world as a feel you are a kindred spirit. You dogs are lovely, no wonder you love them so. Thank you very much for being part of Tuesday Treasures.

Sheila said...

Your little dogs are so cute and have obviously been a huge part of your life for many years .I enjoyed reading the story about Sam and Lady.

Betweens said...

I have just lost my last pup not to long ago she was part bouvier/sheppard and she was 13 your lady is doing great at 18! I know what you mean with everyday being precious.
We still have 3 kitties but it is not the same as having a pouch I miss the happy love when I wake up and the happy love when I get home from work...love IS unconditional with our furry friends

Staci said...

I enjoyed hearing about Sam! You are so blessed to have such a pair of good dogs!

rosie said...

Beautiful story Linda, enjoyed reading about your beautiful pets..

Stray Stitches said...

Thank you for sharing the story of Sam. He looks like a precious little dog. Lady looks like she is definitely the 'grand dame' of the house :) I would be lost without my two furry friends. They are a lifetime commitment as you said but definitely one of the best there is to have!

Rochelle said...

What beautiful treasures. That first photo of Sam looks like he is a wonder-dog
Lady is 18! Wow! We had a foxy cross who reached 19 but he was so arthritic and decrepit - the vet insisted he was pain free, he seemed happy too.

Diane H said...

Sam and Lady, two of my favourite pups! You touch my heart, my furry friends.

Val said...

Dogs are such loving and trusting creatures. Nice to know your two have had such a good home for so long.

Karen said...

Loved reading your story about Sam. He is so lucky you found him. I think the rescued strays turn out to be more loyal and loving. I am sure they think you are pretty special, too.

Linda said...

Pets are one the greatest treasures...EVER! You are so right! Wonderful, wonderful story!

QuiltSue said...

When you hear stories like Sam's it makes you want to cry to think of what he must have gone through before finding you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...